Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ears Blocked? Try some acupressure.


TIP: Stick your middle finger in the ear hole as far as you can and quickly pull it back out as fast as you can! This creates a pressure around the hole that can unblock the ear. It may take 1 to 3 times of doing this, if that doesn't work try some acupressure!

Almost every time I go on an airplane or even when I went scuba diving for the first time over the summer my ears clogged up and not only can’t I hear, but sometimes its painful. In acupuncture there is a point called Gall Bladder (GB) 20 or Feng Chi in Chinese, which translates to Wind Pool.  In Chinese acupuncture this is an effective point for many reasons, one being its ability to release external pathogens that have invaded the body. Do to its location it can affect the ears, the eyes and the nose.

GB 20 lies at the back of the neck and at the base of the skull. To find it just locate the midpoint of the back of your neck where it meets with your skull and slowly drag your finger left or right, the point is bilateral, until it falls into a depression. About 2 inches from the mid-line. To effectively manipulate this area to open up your ears you must apply a descent amount of pressure with your thumbs until it feels a bit tender or uncomfortable. Press with your thumbs inward and rotate the tips of your thumbs into the area. If your ears are clogged this should help open them up. If your ears are really, really clogged, press GB20 and also massage the entire area around the ears. Doing this will hit multiple acupuncture points opening up any blockages in the area, massage the area for a few minutes or until you feel your ears pop. For me 30 seconds of good pressure at GB20 tends to work well.

In acupuncture this point is internally connected to the Gall Bladder and Liver, because of this, this point can help regulate blood pressure, which can help reduce high blood pressure and help dizziness. Its a great point for local neck pain and occipital headaches. 

 I hope this has been a helpful acupressure tip, if you have any questions or comments I'd love to hear them. 

Thank you for reading.

8 comments:

  1. I've been having this funny sound in my right ear for about a week. Kind of sound like metal scraping. After I tried putting pressure at the GB20 point, the sound went away! Thank you so much for writing this helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally unblock my ear, you're the best.
    Thank you so much.

    Raphaël Pathé

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that did the trick.
    This helped too: http://exploreim.ucla.edu/chinese-medicine/acupressure-point-gb20/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Thank You so much! I've had a cold and my ears have been blocked for a week. I tried this and the pressure is finally released. It took more than 3 times, but it felt so good, when it worked. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete